Originated from Southern Asia, the Ginger root or simply Ginger is the subterranean stem of the plant** Zingiber officinale**. It is widely used as specie due is unusual spicy flavor. Ginger has also medicinal properties and can be used for treating or alleviating the symptoms of certain conditions.
### Benefits of Ginger
The main active ingredient is the **Gingerol**, it is a relative of _capsaicin_ and _piperine_ (the active ingredients of the chilli pepper and black pepper). The Gingerol is the responsible for the characteristic spicy flavour of the Ginger.
Researchs have proven that Ginger has the following benefits in health:
- **Anti-inflammatory**, Ginger has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, can be useful to alleviate muscle pain or reducing inflammatory process.
- **Anti-tumour**, Ginger has showed great efficacy fighting against prostate and breast cancer.
- **Anti-microbial**, Ginger play a vital role in the prevention of microbial growth and acts as anti-microbial agent.
- **Anti-diabetic**, Ginger has shown an important role in the management of diabetes and its related symptoms including retinopathy.
- **Neuroprotective**, There are many studies showing the neuroprotector effects of the Ginger thanks to his active compounds. Ginger's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, prevent from premature neurodegeneration associated with Alzheimer's disease.
- **Hepato-protective**, Ginger increases the activities of antioxidant enzymes levels in the liver and reduces toxicity.
- **Gastroprotective**, Ginger plays a vital role in ulcer prevention via increasing mucin secretion. Other researchs have shown anti-ulcerative effects of ginger in experimental gastric ulcer models.
- **Anti-emetic**, Although the exact mechanism of action of Ginger in nausea and vomiting is not clear, Ginger has proven to be effective to provide relief in severity in nausea and vomiting.
- **Migraine relief**, An important study showed that Ginger powder causes relief from migraine attacks.